Where India Fits in the World’s Most Powerful Passport List
India slipped six places in the world’s strongest passport index compiled by Henley & Partners to 90, while Japan is tied with Singapore for first place with a visa-free score of 192.
India’s visa-free score, meanwhile, stood at 58, meaning Indian passport holders are allowed to travel to 58 countries visa-free.
The Henley Passport Index is the original ranking of all passports in the world based on the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa. The index is based on proprietary data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and enhanced by the research team at Henley & Partners.
The index comes at a time when countries are gradually starting to ease restrictions on international travel after more than a year.
Germany and South Korea took second place, while Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan and Yemen are among the least powerful on the list.
The global mobility gap is at its widest point and continues to widen due to the proliferation of entry barriers erected since the outbreak of the pandemic, according to Henley’s Fourth Quarter Global Mobility Report .
“Many countries in the south of the world have relaxed their borders in a concerted effort to revive their economies, but there has been very little reciprocity from countries in the north of the world, which have enforced some of the inbound travel restrictions associated with most stringent Covid-19. Even fully vaccinated travelers from countries at the lower end of the Henley Passport index remain excluded from most developed countries. “
Top 10 most powerful passports
1) Japan, Singapore (visa-free score: 192)
2) Germany, South Korea (visa-free score: 190)
3) Finland, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain (Visa-free score: 189)
4) Austria, Denmark (Visa-free score: 188)
5) France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden (Visa-free score: 187)
6) Belgium, New Zealand, Switzerland (Visa-free score: 186)
7) Czech Republic, Greece, Malta, Norway, United Kingdom, United States (Visa-free score: 185)
8) Australia, Canada (Visa-free score: 184)
9) Hungary (visa-free score: 183)
ten) Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia (Visa-free score: 182)
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our app now !!